Schwinn 170 Upright Bike Overview:
Schwinn has been an innovator in the cycling world for over 100 years. The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike is taking that same cycling ingenuity into the fitness world. This upright exercise bike has great components like 25 levels of eddy current brake magnetic resistance, a strong 3-piece crank system and oversized pedals, a large, padded fully adjustable seat, and angle adjustable handlebars with forearm rests.
This Schwinn 170 stationary bike also has really nice features like a media shelf, in-console speakers with an MP3 input post and USB charging. The best feature, however, has to be the DualTrack™ console that equips on this bike. It has 29 programmed workouts, including 9 heart rate programs, and connectivity to fitness apps so that you can track your performance over time. You get all of this at a very reasonable price and with a warranty that is hard to match.
- Height: 55.6”
- Width: 21.4”
- Length: 41.3”
- Item weight: 62.8 lbs
- Max user weight: 300 lbs
- Sturdy frame and a high-speed, high-inertia perimeter weighted flywheel provides a stable workout platform.
- 25 levels of eddy current brake resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options.
- Large contoured thick padded seat with fore and aft adjustability to fine tune your fit.
- Angle adjustable handlebars with forearm rests for a comfortable riding position.
- Ergonomically placed grip heart rate sensors for a relaxed riding position when using a heart rate program.
- Heart rate monitoring through contact sensors in the hand grips or chest strap (not included).
- 3 piece cranks for added support
- Media shelf for your tablet or magazine.
- In-console speakers with MP3 input port and USB charging.
- Adjustable 3-speed fan to keep you cool while exercising.
- Water bottle holder so that you can stay hydrated while working out.
- Transport wheels so that you can easily move this bike for storage.
- DualTrack™ two blue backlit LCD window system
- Bluetooth and USB connectivity to Schwinn ConnectTM and MyFitnessPal to download workout data
- 12 profile programs including 4 fun rides, 4 mountain rides and 4 challenges
- 9 heart rate programs with custom settings
- 2 fitness test programs to measure your physical fitness improvements
- 4 user profiles to store personal information and store workout data
- 1 recovery test program to measure your how quickly your heart rate recovers
- Quick start capability
- Workout data includes:
- Revolutions Per Minute
- Heart Rate
- Heart Rate Zone
- Frame: 10 years
- Parts: 2 years
- Electronics: 1 year
- Labor: 90 days
Shipping and Assembly:
Shipping costs will vary for the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike depending on where you purchase from and what type of delivery you prefer. However, some retailers, such as Amazon.com, will provide free shipping.
The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike goes together quickly and can even been completed easily by one person. Using the instructions that Schwinn provides, the process should only take about an hour. Make sure you read the drawbacks section of our review as you will see that there are users who claim that they’ve received their bike with broken parts. This is definitely a concern and you should make sure you make your purchase for a reputable supplier.
What We Love About the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike:
You can find the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike online for around $350, or maybe even for less. For this price, that’s a steal. Schwinn is a well known fitness equipment and cycling manufacturer. You know you’ll be getting a certain level of quality just in the name. Th3 Schwinn 170 Upright Bike has a lot of great features including 25 levels of resistance and an excellent computer console packed with 29 pre-loaded programs and heart rate telemetry capability. This bike should cost a lot more. In fact, this bike is basically identical as far as components, features and warranty to the Nautilus U616 Upright Bike, which costs at least $100 more. Check out our review of the U616 Upright Bike and you’ll see what we’re saying.
The DualTrack™ console is a great computer and found on a lot of Schwinn and Nautilus brand exercise equipment in this price range. This console has two backlit screens that display your workout data and is easily viewable in low light. The two screens also allow you to view your workout data in case you’re blocking the upper screen with your tablet or a magazine. This console has 29 programs including 12 workout profiles like fun rides, mountain rides and challenges that will give you intense workouts. The console also allows you to use a chest heart rate monitor, but you’ll need to purchase this separately. Another great feature is that it has Bluetooth connectivity to transfer your workout data through Schwinn ConnectTM or MyFitnessPal. It’s always nice to be able to track your performance and see your improvements from workout to workout.
While Schwinn is a great name in cycling and fitness equipment, since their 2001 bankruptcy and acquisition by Pacific Cycle, there have been some questions about their quality. The Schwinn 170 Upright Bike has had some users complain about the overall quality of the bikes they received. The one good thing is that Schwinn does provide a solid warranty with the 170 Upright Bike. We would also suggest that you make your purchase from a reputable supplier like Amazon.com for the same reason.
Final Word on the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike:
At right around $400, the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike is well equipped with everything you’ll ever need in an exercise bike. It has really good components and features. There are tons of resistance levels to ensure you get the custom intensity that you crave and 29 programmed workouts so that you get the workout that you desire. This bike probably has the best features and warranty that you will find at this price.