Wrinkles are a natural part of the aging process and appear as creases or ridges in the skin. However, wrinkles don’t just appear in older people. It’s growing more common that young people in their 30’s are beginning to see the signs of wrinkles and many may not know why. Learning how to prevent wrinkles is not easy.
Causes of Wrinkles
Sun damage is the number 1 cause of wrinkles. Frequent amounts of sun exposure and sunburn leads to dry skin, causing it to dehydrate and wrinkle. Health studies show that UV rays account for 80% of skin wrinkles. This means that the majority of wrinkles people have are from not using enough sunscreen before being out in the sun.
Firm skin requires moisture from water to stay elastic. Many people who don’t drink enough water and fluids tend to see early signs of wrinkles so hydrating your body is essential for maintaining youthful skin.
Another cause of wrinkles is smoking. Smoking is a serious health factor that also increases early signs of wrinkles. Notonly does it degrade the building blocks of your skin, it can speed up the aging process. It reduces moisture, and the chemicals burn your skin without you even knowing.
A more common type of wrinkle that many notice is from expressions like “smile lines” or crows feet around their eyes from squinting for long periods of time. These are not necessarily seen as unwanted wrinkles, because they are natural due to everyday expressions. However, they do appear pretty early and are very visible.
There are a number of ways to keep skin healthy and prevent early signs of wrinkles:
- Avoid excess sun exposure.
- Make sure you apply a strong and gentle SPF for your skin tone before heading out into the sun. This will decrease your chances of getting burned and, in the long run, decrease your chances of getting wrinkles.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration is the second major cause of wrinkles. Your skin needs a constant supply of water to maintain its elasticity.
- Stay away from smoking. Smoking causes pre-mature aging of the skin, because it reduces blood supply and skin nourishment.
- Use moisturizer. Keep skin moist so that wrinkles don’t appear. Moisturizer also reducing the appearance of wrinkles, because skin looks better altogether.
- Eat healthy. Fruits, vegetable, nuts, and seeds are all foods that are effective for anti-aging due to the high amounts antioxidants they provide.
- Decrease stress levels. Stress releases hormones such as cortisol that decreases the muscular tissue beneath the skin. This results in thinner skin and wrinkles. Stress has a serious affect on skin.
There are a number of ways to prevent the causes of wrinkles on your face and other parts of your body. While some causes such as sun exposure and smoking are harmful causes, there are things people don’t normally think about like staying hydrated and using a moisturizer. Wrinkles are a natural part of aging, but why have wrinkles at a young age when they can easily be prevented?