Single speed bikes are cool for a number of reasons, including the fact that they bring simplicity into your life. Newly invented and improved gears are awesome and they have their own utility, but single speed ones can show you the beauty of riding a basic bike.
If you like sports, then you surely love to put your muscles to work and embrace that burning sensation that you get every time you ride your bike uphill. Yes, riding a single speed bike can be more challenging than riding a multi-speed one and that is exactly why more and more people turn to basic gears.
Are you looking to buy a new bike and you still do not know what to choose? Here are a few reasons why you should go for a single speed model:
- Single speeds are really easy to ride – when riding a simple bike, you don’t have to change gears or worry about derailleurs or chains. You can focus only on what’s ahead of you, as the only thing that you have to do is to pedal and enjoy the ride.
- They are cost-effective – giving the fact that a single speed bike does not include as much equipment and gears, its price is reflected in its simplicity. These bikes are cheaper and easier to maintain.
- Their maintenance is less expensive – it is understandable that a bike that has fewer elements on it will require less maintenance and when it does, it is less expensive. That is a huge plus for someone who doesn’t want to spend a lot on their bike.
- Riding a single speed bike is relaxing – pedaling can be extremely relaxing if you don’t have to think about anything else, such as the gears or various technologies that complex bikes are equipped with.
- They help you work out more – although most people would think that this is a disadvantage, it is actually in your benefit to become one with the road. You will be forced to put in more effort when climbing a hill and it will become extremely easy when coasting.
- They are lighter than multi-gear bikes – you may wonder why. The answer is really easy. Single-speed bikes are lighter because they are simpler. They have a basic mechanism and the fact that they do not have multiple gears and chains makes them a lot lighter. This means that they are easier to carry and easier to catch high speeds with.
- They help you become a pro rider – who said it was easy to ride a single speed bike? The truth is that in the beginning, it can be challenging, but once you become used to it, you practically become a pro. You know exactly what speed you must ride on in order to be able to climb the hills right and you will be able to travel through the city easily, without crashing somewhere.
- Mountain biking seems a breeze after riding a single-speed bike for a few months – you always thought that mountain biking is a big challenge for you? That is probably because you have never tried riding a single-speed bike for more than two days. After riding one constantly, you reach to the conclusion that it is practically an art and mountain biking becomes so much easier. Are you up to the challenge?
- They are stylish – one of the reasons why these bikes have become so fashionable is that they are so stylish! They are simple and elegant and there is something about them that makes you feel special. More than that, you will not look awkward on one regardless of your outfit. Their design is always clean and light and lately, the market offers a variety of options when it comes to coloring and materials.
- You get to burn more fat – it is obvious that riding a bike turns you into a more active person. But you will also burn more fat than you would if you would ride a multi-gear bike, because you have to move more.
Being an active person with a healthy lifestyle is extremely important these days. Choose a single speed bike to help you become healthier, more balanced and more satisfied with yourself and your daily routine. You will have a bike that is cheap, easy to maintain and a best friend that will accompany you no matter where you decide to go.